Exciting news! We are streamlining our adoption process to give adopters an even better experience at HSWC! We’ve worked hard to limit the amount of social contact while still giving you a personable adoption experience.
How does this work?
- Check out our Adoption Gallery to see which animals are ready to find loving homes!
- Find an animal or two you’re interested in (or if you’re not sure, give us a call and tell us the type of pet you’re looking for, and we’ll pair you with a good match!).
- Call us at 301-733-2060 and speak with one of our Community Engagement Specialists. They will give you a time to come in and meet the animal of your choosing!
Please Note: Face masks are required for anyone over the age of 9, and we ask that you please continue to practice social distancing while in the building.
Before adopting a companion, it’s important to consider what type of animal – species, energy level, size, etc. – is best for you and best fits your lifestyle. To assist you we have adoption counselors to help match you with the right companion using the Canine-ality and Feline-ality survey.
Before completing the adoption process, please think about:
- Working with your pet to adjust to a new home
- Providing proper food and shelter
- Annual vaccinations and preventative health care
- Potential training and behavior issues
- Time you spend away from home each day
- Providing adequate exercise
- Providing care during vacations and extended absences from home
- Being prepared for medical emergencies – for both the animal and yourself
- Preventing your companion from roaming free
- Your lifestyle, energy level, and space situation
- Caring for your pet, even when you don’t feel like it
- Adoption Fees
Meet with a customer service representative to discuss your preferences, needs, and lifestyle. Our process includes asking lots of questions – we work hard to make the best match possible for both you and the animal. You may also use the Feline-ality and Canine-ality surveys to find great placements for our animals!
A volunteer or adoption counselor will bring the animal of interest to an area for you to interact. They will answer questions about the animal’s history, health and disposition to the best of their knowledge. Keep in my mind, many animals come to HSWC as strays and we don’t have a lot of information on their backgrounds.
Complete the the Adoption Questionnaire and return to a customer service representative. Please be sure to have a valid driver's license or state-issued ID and proof of residence along with you.
Please note that because HSWC exists to serve the best interest of the animals in our care, any Adoption Counselor or Supervisor may deny the adoption of any animal at any time.
If approved, you will review the adoption contract, pay the adoption fee and receive your adoption packet which will include: a complimentary health assessment by a participating Washington County veterinarian, 30-days free pet insurance that must be activated with 24 hours of adoption, medical history, rabies vaccination (if applicable), and microchip information.
If adopting a dog, a collar and leash are required when leaving the shelter. You may bring your own or purchase them in the Cuddly Connections retail area at HSWC.
Cats must leave the shelter in a carrier. You may bring your own or purchase one from our retail area. Cardboard carriers are also available for $5.
Hold Policy: We understand that you may want additional family members or pets to meet an animal you're interested in adopting, or you need to get your house ready for a new pet - and things like that take time! Upon visiting an available animal and choosing to adopt him/her, you may place a hold on the animal for a $25 non-refundable fee. The $25 fee guarantees that the animal of your choosing will be on “hold” for you until 5:30 pm the following business day (should the hold be placed on a Saturday, the animal will remain held until 5:30 pm Monday). Please note that the fee is a separate service fee which is non-refundable and does not contribute toward the adoption fee, retail merchandise, or any other services that HSWC may provide.