Apply in person at the Humane Society of Washington County, Inc. or download a job application. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Interested qualified candidates should submit resume, cover letter, one letter of reference, and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are valid for 60 days. If you have not heard from us within that period, you will need to reapply. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Animal Care Technician Level 1 -- Part Time
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Working under the direction of the Animal Care Manager or their designee, the Animal Care Technician functions as part of the Animal Care team - working independently and collaboratively to provide a clean, safe, healthy environment for the animals, staff, and visitors of the Humane Society.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Providing prompt and courteous first point of contact for clients while showing adoptable animals - from small mammals to livestock
2. Minimizing disease transmission by maintaining high standards of cleanliness of all animal and public areas
3. Following all protocols to provide basic care to all animals including but not limited to:
- Medical Care and Treatments
- Disinfection and Disease Control
- Food Bank
- Humane Euthanasia
- Behavior and Training
- Rabies Clinics and Adoption Events
4. Maintain proper opening and closing procedures for the facility.
1. Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
2. Candidates must be able to work both independently and collaboratively
3. Strong attention to detail and client service skills
4. Strong oral and written communication skills
5. Ability to operate animal care vehicles including vans, box truck, and horse trailer.
6. Availability to work daytime, evenings, weekends, and holidays
7. Formal animal care experience a plus
8. Candidates must be committed to treating animals with kindness and respect
9. Assist with inventory and restocking supplies.
10. Report all damage and needed repairs for equipment or facility to the ACM or their designee.
11. Transport animals to various locations as needed following standard state laws.
12. Deal with conflicts, questions, and problems in a professional manner and with consideration for the good of the organization.
13. Follow the HSWC Standards of Conduct.
14. Ensure shelter, storage areas, animal housing areas, and prep room area are neat and orderly.
15. Ensure ACM or their designee is aware of animals in need of medical care.
16. Perform humane euthanasia and prepare bodies for rabies testing as directed (when trained)
17. Filling in for other areas and performing other tasks/functions as directed by the ACM or their designee.
18. Follow all procedures established to maintain a safe work environment including using Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE), safe animal and chemical handling, reporting all near misses and accidents
19. All other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED required and experience working within Animal Care is strongly preferred but not required. Must be 18 years of age.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to learn animal first aid and CPR, perform euthanasia, basic laboratory techniques and basic animal grooming techniques.
Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses, diseases and injuries, animal species, breeds, ages, and sexes.
Basic math skills to calculate medication dosage for animals.
Ability to learn humane animal capture and humane restraint methods and the ability to interpret animal body language.
Good interpersonal and communication skills. g. Basic computer skills.
Ability to follow direction and/or instruction as given either orally or written.
Ability to work daytime, evenings, and weekends as assigned.
Must have insurable valid driver’s license.
Ability to be vaccinated with pre-exposure rabies.
Must be able to lift up 40 lbs. bags of pet food and litter over long periods.
Must be able to lift 50 to 100lbs with assistance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work environment may have regular exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as zoonotic disease, parasites, dirt, dust, pollen, odors, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, pathogenic substances, animal attacks or animal bites. The noise level in the work environment can be very loud.
Animal Care Technicians are essential personnel in that animals housed at the shelter need care every day, year round. Animal Care Technicians are expected to make plans to safely get to work during inclement weather or be willing to stay overnight at the shelter in order to ensure the daily needs of the animals are met.
This job description is not a contract – management reserves the right to change its contents at any time. This organization complies with the guidelines set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era. This organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Humane Society of Washington County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a 501 © (3) non-profit. We are not a county agency and have no county employees.
The HSWC is a tobacco free facility.
The HSWC complies with the guidelines set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era.