Apply in person at the Humane Society of Washington County, Inc. or download a job application that can be printed, completed, and mailed to our offices. You may also download and complete the form, and email it to email@example.com.
The Humane Society of Washington County offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Interested qualified candidates should submit resume, cover letter, one letter of reference and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are valid for 60 days. If you have not heard from us within that period, you will need to reapply. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Licensed Veterinary Technician
General Purpose of the Position:
Provide excellent patient and people care in a veterinary clinic and animal shelter setting.
Care for up to 200 cats and dogs per day working in cooperation with Humane Society staff and volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer injections such as anesthetics, pain medications, vaccinations and other medications. Provide treatments, and supportive care as directed by HSWC Standard Operating Procedures and attending Veterinarian. Intubate animals, place intravenous catheters, perform venipuncture and administer fluids as needed. Monitor vital signs of sedated and anesthetized patients in preoperative, operative, and postoperative phases.
- Maintain medical supplies inventory, including emergency drugs.
- Ensure that supplies are in-date.
- Ensure that anesthetic machines, pulse oximeters, scales, and other equipment are functional. When equipment is not working properly report to Vice President of Operations.
- Maintain all necessary controlled substance drug logs and patient records.
- Stay current in knowledge of emergency drugs and protocols.
- Communicate in effective and professional manner with public and all HSWC staff and volunteers.
- Possess working knowledge of basic veterinary medical concepts, including, but not limited to vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks. Be able to communicate such information to clients. When Veterinarian has documented information about an animal’s condition, adequately explain such information to clients.
- Ability to perform euthanasia and discuss euthanasia decisions and HSWC euthanasia protocols with co-workers, volunteers, and the public.
- Work well both independently and cooperatively as part of team. Remain composed while working in fast-paced environment.
- Represent HSWC in a professional and courteous manner at all times. Provide medical information and representation to other HSWC departments.
- Adhere to all protocols put forth by Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Follow all written and verbally communicated HSWC Standard Operating Procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings and training sessions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have graduated from accredited school of veterinary science technology (2 or 4 year program). Must have current Maryland State Veterinary Technician License.
- Must have 3-plus years working as Licensed Veterinary Technician.
- Euthanasia Certification in the state of Maryland.
- Experience working in an animal shelter setting preferred.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Must speak fluent English. Must possess excellent animal handling skills. Must possess excellent customer service skills. Must be able to lift and carry 40-plus pounds repeatedly throughout day with assistance. Must possess the ability to work standing for 10-plus hours. Must be willing to work weekends. Maintain open mind regarding changes and be willing to learn, implement, and teach new protocols. Must have strong interest in animal welfare.
Please ensure you have the required qualifications prior to applying for this position.
Interested candidates may send an application and resume to email@example.com
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EMPLOYMENT DISCLAIMER: This job description is not a contract – management reserves the right to change its contents at any time. This organization complies with the guidelines set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era. This organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Humane Society of Washington County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a 501 © (3) non-profit. We are not a county agency and have no county employees.
The HSWC is a tobacco free facility.
The HSWC complies with the guidelines set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era. The HSWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.