Apply in person at the Humane Society of Washington County, Inc. or download a job application that can be printed, completed, and mailed to our offices. You may also download and complete the form, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Humane Society of Washington County offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Interested qualified candidates should submit resume, cover letter, one letter of reference and completed application to email@example.com.
Applications are valid for 60 days. If you have not heard from us within that period, you will need to reapply. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Animal Care Manager
General Purpose of the Position
Supervise all Animal Care personnel and volunteers to ensure the humane care and treatment of all animals, the cleanliness and safety of the environment and the efficiency of the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilites
- Works cooperatively with all HSWC departments to promote and maintain the highest standards of humane care, housing and handling of all animals.
- Ensures adequate training of Animal Care staff and volunteers, their adherence to policies, procedures and applicable laws, and effective communication across departments.
- Ensures medical care is provided to all sick/injured animals as directed by a veterinarian and/or according to current polices/procedures.
- Ensures all adoptable animals are physically and behaviorally healthy according to current polices & procedures.
- Ensures a safe and clean environment to reduce injuries and control disease.
- Ensures the timely and appropriate selection of animals for behavior assessments, spay/neuter surgery, adoption, foster care, rescue or euthanasia.
- Work closely with breed specific, non-profit, rescue groups.
- Maintains inventory of animals.
- Ensures that off-site adoption facilities and animals are maintained according to policies/procedures.
- Ensures shelter, storage areas, animal housing areas and prep rooms and clinic areas are sanitized, neat, and organized.
- Ensures adequate supply of cleaning, medical and euthanasia supplies.
- Prepares Animal Care staff schedules, work flow and assignments, and time cards.
- Prepares and implements disciplinary action according to policy/procedures.
- Prepares reports as requested.
- Assists with interviews and selection of employment candidates.
- All other duties as assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualifications
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Previous supervisory/management experience working in a high paced work environment.
- Previous animal care, sheltering, or veterinary experience helpful.
- Preferred Certified Professional Dog Trainer (CPDT).
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills.
- General knowledge of animal breeds, animal health, sex and age of animals.
- Basic math skills to calculate medication dosage for animals.
- Good interpersonal skills, communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of open admission shelter operations.
- Ability to work w/ limited supervision and make decisions based on policy/procedures.
- Willing to become euthanasia certified in the state of Maryland.
- Basic computer skills.
- Insurable driving record.
- Ability to be vaccinated with pre-exposure rabies.
- Basic knowledge of labor and human resources laws.
Supervises Animal Care Technicians, Animal Care Volunteers and temporary staff.
Please ensure you have the required qualifications prior to applying for this position.
Interested candidates may send an application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EMPLOYMENT DISCLAIMER: This job description is not a contract – management reserves the right to change its contents at any time. This organization complies with the guidelines set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era. This organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Humane Society of Washington County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a 501 © (3) non-profit. We are not a county agency and have no county employees.
The HSWC is a tobacco free facility.
The HSWC complies with the guidelines set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era. The HSWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.