Apply in person at the Humane Society of Washington County, Inc. or download a job application that can be printed, completed, and mailed to our offices. You may also download and complete the form, and email it to email@example.com.
The Humane Society of Washington County offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Interested qualified candidates should submit resume, cover letter, one letter of reference and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are valid for 60 days. If you have not heard from us within that period, you will need to reapply. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
General Purpose of the Position:
As part of the Humane Society of Washington County’s commitment to raising the intrinsic value of animals in the region, the HSWC seeks a licensed veterinarian to help design and implement best practices in humane population management and to provide high-quality veterinary medical and surgical care for the shelter animals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilites
This position reports to the President/CEO and works collaboratively with the Vice President of Operations, HSWC management and staff. This is a fulltime position in Hagerstown, MD. Occasional travel may be required.
Veterinary Medical Care
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Operations, design and implement medical and general-care protocols for the health and well-being of shelter and foster animals housed at the Humane Society of Washington County.
- Tend to all health and related aspects of care for shelter animals at HSWC, including but not limited to, vaccinations, administration of medication, testing, medical evaluations, humane health care, euthanasia and disease prevention in the shelter
- Perform surgical procedures on shelter animals, as needed (for example, spay/neuter, hernia repair, tumor removals and ocular procedures)
- Lead daily medical rounds and organize treatment plans for shelter animals
- Work with RVTs to develop a comprehensive spay/neuter plan in conjunction with current surgery schedule
- Together with the Vice President of Operations, identify, develop and recommend onsite management protocols designed to ensure adherence to sound veterinary medical practices by all clinic and support staff and, as may be needed, help to implement such protocols
- Provide routine training for staff concerning the medical care of shelter animals, including those relating to nursing care procedures, cleaning, handling, and vaccination and quarantine protocols
- Knowledge of laws and codes pertaining to the care and record keeping of sheltered animals
- Offer leadership and coaching for the clinic staff and kennel care staff, and sustain a strong commitment to teamwork, high professional standards and continuing development among all shelter employees
- Open to innovation and methods to ensure humane management and improving positive outcomes for sheltered animals
- Willingness to provide subsidized sterilization and wellness services to publically owned animals.
- Graduated from an accredited veterinary medical college – DVM or equivalent
- Licensed to practice in the State of Maryland
- Experience in high volume spay/neuter clinic and/or post graduate surgical training preferred
- Experience with Shelter Medicine and herd health preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to the mission, values and goals of the Humane Society of Washington County.
- Demonstrated aptitude in clinical medicine and surgery
- Experience in animal welfare and shelter operations a plus
- Experience in emergency medicine and veterinary forensics a plus
- Demonstrated success in managing a diverse team of professionals, skilled in managing varied relationships and successful at facilitating collaboration and cooperation
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of principles and practices of staff management and the appropriate methods and means of dealing with human behavior situations in a variety of business circumstances
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing in a diverse range of audiences and settings
- Excellent communication skills including ability to mediate conflicts and give/receive feedback
- Working the hours necessary to accomplish targeted responsibilities
- Delegating responsibility, achieving and measuring results with team members
- Practices excellent quality medicine and upholds the veterinary code of ethics
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position depends on the length and breadth of experience. Eligible for full benefits package including: paid time off, medical, dental & vision insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, and tax-deferred retirement plan.
Please ensure you have the required qualifications prior to applying for this position.
Interested candidates may send an application and resume to email@example.com
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EMPLOYMENT DISCLAIMER: This job description is not a contract – management reserves the right to change its contents at any time. This organization complies with the guidelines set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era. This organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Humane Society of Washington County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a 501 © (3) non-profit. We are not a county agency and have no county employees.
The HSWC is a tobacco free facility.
The HSWC complies with the guidelines set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era. The HSWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.